First Eidos IPs made available via Square Enix Collective

It’s been almost a year since we fully launched Collective, and one of the headline announcements back then was the prospect of allowing developers to create games based in some of the old Eidos IPs. But it wasn’t something I wanted to open up right away, in case it overshadowed the original games that developers submitted to the platform.

Well, now the platform is established and we’ve more experience in supporting projects (both in Feedback and through crowdfunding) so it feels like the right time to live up to that early promise – which means that from now on, we’re going to allow developers to pitch game ideas based on the following IPs:

• Gex
  • Fear Effect
  • Anachronox

We have more IPs that we may open up in future, but we’ll start with those and see what the response is like.

In terms of the process, submissions using our IP is pretty much the same as for original IP, with a few exceptions which you should be aware of.

Firstly, we’ll pre-approve anything internally that is published on the Feedback platform. That means that if something goes out for community voting, we need to be happy with it first. If you submit something we don’t approve, we’ll tell you why – but to be clear, this is really about making sure ideas are relevant to the franchise. It *doesn’t* mean that we’re looking for straight-up sequels – we’d love to see different takes on those universes. What would Gex look like in a side-scrolling adventure, or a turn-based strategy? So feel free to mash up genres, and get creative.

The Feedback process is then basically the same – we throw the idea out to our community and let them vote and feedback for 28 days. At the end of that period we’ll weigh up the response, and then decide whether or not to proceed further.

If the response is good, then it’s into crowdfunding, which no doubt begs an important question: Why ask gamers to pay for a game to be made if it’s using our IP? Well, because it will still be the responsibility of the independent developer to build the game – and the developer will still be the key beneficiary of its success.

On the business side, we’ll still take 5% of net crowdfunds raised (assuming the initial target is reached); and we will also distribute the game when it’s done – for that we take the standard distribution fee of 10% net sales revenue, but we’ll also charge a 10% license fee for the use of the IP. And, obviously, we’ll have more involvement in the direction of development – because let’s face it, we want to make sure the game that’s released is the game that’s promised.

Still, that means the developer will keep 80% of the net revenue from sales of the game – and who knows, maybe we’ll be interested in licensing a sequel as well? It’s a pretty good deal.

So that’s it in a nutshell. If you have any questions, you can ask them (as always) via collective@square-enix.com.

Let the games begin!

Comments (32)

You must be logged in to leave a comment

• mikotohimemiya
    mikotohimemiya / 9 months ago

I am very much forward to the new part of the Fear Effect. And also very much hope that there will be Hana and Rein official couple, or at least so it is possible to do by choice. I'm a big fan of this couple: Hana Tsu-Vachel X Rain Qin forewer!

• TurboTechnics
    TurboTechnics / about 1 year ago

Oh my god, I would be the happiest person on Earth if a new Gex game would be released!

• andrewcolomy
    andrewcolomy / about 1 year ago

If you're gonna do another Gex game, the first thing I would do is try to get Dana Gould on board to retuen as the voice for Gex. A Gex game without him just wouldn't be Gex.

• Cr3aper1
    Cr3aper1 / over 1 year ago

I told Tom about it back in February. He didn't comment back to me about it.

• Comogome
    Comogome / over 1 year ago

Somebody please tell Tom Hall about the Anachronox IP so that he may finally have an opportunity to finish up the rest of the story the way he intended years ago. I want to see it happen.

• Tigame
    Tigame / over 1 year ago

@WarrenFrancis I'm really sure there is a Team of about 8 people working on the game. But they are searching for more people, like a level designer. Look up those links: http://www.reddit.com/r/gameDevClassifieds/comments/2fnife/gex_4_help/ http://itstailtime.proboards.com/thread/1811/news-updates

• WarrenFrancis
    WarrenFrancis / over 1 year ago

Are there any teams who are looking for extra people to help develop a solid idea for the Gex IP? I am a games level designer myself and I would like to apply my talents professionally. Please respond to my comment if there are any available contacts who are interested. If you are an individualist who is looking to get a group of people together I would also be interested. I would LOVE to help bring back Gex to this current generation!

• skarrz
    skarrz / over 1 year ago

Fear Effect and Gex would be absolutely excellent to bring back in regards to rebooting it or just continuing from where they left off.

• wheeledjustice
    wheeledjustice / over 1 year ago

I'm not a game developer AT ALL but I've been thinking a lot about Gex and there's something I'd love to see. I want a game where Gex is "reawakened" after his long hiatus and thrust into a world of modern gaming as an old school platforming mascot. We'd have realistic graphics, intense combat, an upgrade system and Gex, looking low res and way too colorful for his surroundings, quipping every 10 seconds.

• aplayer70
    aplayer70 / almost 2 years ago

There was a game on PS2 called Herdy Gerdy I remember playing. Considering that people like to play stuff they wouldn't normally play now, I think its perfect for this sort of thing.

• Deadly3clipse
    Deadly3clipse / almost 2 years ago

Fear Effect and Anachronox?!?! I'd be all over that!!! Please bring back those IP's!!

• psychomc
    psychomc / almost 2 years ago

I remember Gex and enjoyed all three original games. Will be exited about a reboot. I also remember that the developing studio was Crystal Dynamics. They made another game which I still count as one of my favourite games ever, Soul Reaver. Don't forget that IP, Square Enix. Perhaps the original story writer would be interested in a new Project, now that she is done with writing Uncharted at Naughty Dog.

• Fated_Sin
    Fated_Sin / almost 2 years ago

I'd be all over a new Gex game and a new Fear Effect as well

• Zillasaurus
    Zillasaurus / almost 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure SquareEnix isn't gonna even look at my post but i'll give it a try. I want a Gex Video Game. A remake, a new one, I don't really care. For Ps4, with lots of new ideas, a game in new clothes and soul of the oldies. We live now in a time of opportunities, with a lot of movie-related ideas, which can be put in the Gex video game. But the only real thing I want with Gex is... DANA GLOUD AS HIS VOICE! None of the voice-actors from other countries we're nearlly good as this guy.

• twinspectre
    twinspectre / almost 2 years ago

here what i want in these IP , a PS4 release , no hand holding , no dumbed down gameplay , no checkpoints , no autosaves , no regen health , no waypoints/questmarks , no press X to win , no Linearity , no Casualized gameplay. to the Devs You must keep the original gameplay mechanics without making a dumbed down exerience , it would be pretty pathetic to see the old games being superior than the new ones

• VortigauntBlade
    VortigauntBlade / almost 2 years ago

I think with Gex you only need look at the successful platform game strategy that worked so well in the late 90's and gradually dropped post millenium over the years. how rare is it to find a great platforming game these days that feels genuinely full length and full of different variety in platforming gameplay. A successful blend of visual creativity and beauty, mixed with both equal depth horizontally and vertically, and lots of fun abilities and secrets to unlock. Look at Dark Souls effect

• P1nkiep13
    P1nkiep13 / almost 2 years ago

Anachronox needs to have its story finished. That game was unique in so many ways and is one of the rare RPG's to meld and sense of humour and dread. Please remake and finsih it!

• CrimsonCrisis
    CrimsonCrisis / almost 2 years ago

So maybe that Chrono Trigger fan remake you guys cease and desisted could come to pass? I know they want something new with their IP's but there is a saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Chrono Trigger is one of those IP's i'd love to see a remake for the new generation who doesn't know how good that game was when it first came out. Also on a side note: "Pardon my tongue darling" - Gex xD

• utterlycharmless
    utterlycharmless / almost 2 years ago

You should make Gex but with memes. Give me all the money.

• Jorgeus
    Jorgeus / almost 2 years ago

You must do a remake etc of The unholy wars! that game was one of the best by crystal dynamic, it was a hidden Gem that many missed out on.

• FacoSta
    FacoSta / almost 2 years ago

The Anthology of Parasite Eve TPS-Unbelievable and PC-Impossible 4K Ultra-Crazy Edition;)

• RPRezo
    RPRezo / almost 2 years ago

When I was digging for info about Fear Effect 3: Inferno (for an article), I found out that it was pretty close to completion. AND that ex CEO OF Kronos still has all the data. So the answer is clear: get him to finish the game. No crowdfunded indie title would be as close to AAA-game as an actual AAA-game - even if it is one from PS2 era. Also style and story are important, and Kronos was pretty unique at both.

• batbugz
    batbugz / almost 2 years ago

I would love a new gex and unholy wars!

• Antendo
    Antendo / almost 2 years ago

I'd LOVE a new Gex game - if it was a silly pop-culture (that's popular culture, not memes) reference filled 3D platformer like the old ones. But then again, I don't want a new Gex game if it's gonna be a "serious and dark and gritty" action-adventure reboot with "cinematic innovative experience" and all the other buzz words attached to it. I'll keep hoping for the best, fearing for the worst.

• SlyRebirth
    Admin SlyRebirth / almost 2 years ago

@Le_Saucier Good question... would be hard to see how that would work. Surprise us! @JediaKyrol Well, we're not looking to sell the IP, but working with it's the option on offer. Who knows what might happen? We're just as intrigued.